Workshops: Monday, April 8, 2013
|Agenda: Keynote speakers | Monday: Preconference workshops | Tuesday: Sessions | Wednesday: Sessions | Thursday: Site tours|
Be sure to refresh your browser to view the latest updates
& Air Emissions Compliance
Technology Evaluation and Comparison, Emissions Assessments, Control
April 8, 2013, 8:30 AM — 4:00 PM
Workshop designed for compost manufacturers, regulatory agencies, project developers and other organic waste stream managers seeking to comply with increasingly stringent air emissions requirements for composting facilities. A primary focus will be on evaluation of using positively aerated static piles with a biofilter layer to control VOCs, odors and other emissions.
- Errol Villegas, Program Manager - Strategies & Incentives Department
San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District (SJVAPC)
- Kevin Barnes, City of Bakersfield (CA) Solid Waste Division
- Tom Card, Emission Estimation Expert
- David Crohn, University of California Riverside Cooperative Extension
- Robert Horowitz, CalRecycle
- John Jones, Harvest Power
- Dan Noble, Association of Compost Producers
- Harold Ruppert, O2Compost
- CE Schmidt, Emission Assessment Scientist
- Science of Composting and discussion of various contemporary composting technologies.
- Regulatory Perspectives on composting in California's Central Valley.
- Research Findings on positive air ASP with biofilter.
- Air Emission Assessment and Evaluation of Emissions — positive ASP with biofilter and control windrows, including analysis of emissions by species and tips on evaluating collected data.
Food Recovery & Recycling
Source Reduction, Donation, Diversion
April 8, 2013, 9:00 AM — 3:30 PM
Workshop will show food service providers and managers the tools to cut costs and how to market their source reduction and food waste recycling programs to employees and customers. Workshop participants will include grocers, restaurateurs, venue managers, food bank operators, food service educators and trainers and municipal solid waste staff.
- Sarah Dominguez and Laura Moreno, U.S. EPA Pacific Southwest Region
- Andrew Shakman, LeanPath
- Stephen Destefano, Crowne Plaza Hanalei San Diego
- Paul Hammans, Feeding America San Diego
- Michael Lawson, North County Food Bank
- Leslie Lukacs, L2Environmental
- Ana Carvalho, City of San Diego Environmental Services Department
- Nick Papantonakis, Snooze Eatery
- Rich Flammer, Hidden Resources
- Source Reduction to provide participants tips and tools to implement immediately to reduce food waste at the source in their workplace.
- Food Donation to dispel myths and fears associated with donation and provide resources on how to donate perishables and find a recipient organization.
- Waste Diversion and Communication with tips on how to avoid sending food waste to the landfill, and how to share program successes.
Biogas Project Development
Tools for Financing, Sourcing Feedstocks, Evaluating Markets, Project Evaluation
April 8, 2013, 9:30 AM — 4:30 PM
Workshop, organized by the American Biogas Council, targets those who want to build and/or operate a biogas system. This includes project developers and owners, EPC firms, generators, lenders and investors, current digester operators, public agencies, utilities and others looking to start or advance anaerobic digestion projects. Industry experts will share tools for successful project development, biogas production and navigating regulations and legislative policies.
- Mike Land, Partner, Baker Tilly
- Bernie Sheff, VP, Anaergia
- Dennis Fenn, Senior VP, Cornerstone Environmental Group & BioCNG
- Nick Lumpkin, Director of Business Development Clean Energy Renewable Fuels
- Michael J. Turwitt, President & CEO, 2G Cenergy
- Katie Oliver and Shawn Garvey, Clean World Partners
- Shawn Garvey, Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs for CleanWorld Partners
- Wayne Bishop, Senior Project Developer, Harvest Power
- Norma McDonald, North America Sales Manager, Organic Waste Systems
- Ari Elden, Director of Projects, Liquid Environmental Solutions
- Vehicle Fuel
- CHP & Electricity to Grid
- Commercializing and Business Modeling for Urban Food Waste AD Projects
- AD Co-Products
- Project Evaluation